The criteria applied in all cases are the quality of the work in question, the quality of the publishing house, and of the translator; well-argued need of the applicant; a sound budget; and the availability of other funding.
Support is available for publishers in Albania, Belarus, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Kosovo, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Montenegro, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovenia, Slovakia, and Ukraine.
Amounts awarded usually vary between € 1.000 and € 3.000. The grants are in principle non-renewable.
Grants are generally NOT awarded for:
- Books of a specialised nature or written for a limited readership
- Books in the field of health, medicine, pure or applied science, ecology, business, children's books, textbooks, art books and catalogues, or works of a religious or party political nature
- Books distributed free of charge
- Publishing houses that have existed for less than two years
- (Foreign) copyrights and reprint rights
- Institutional costs including maintenance, payments for budgetary deficits, salaries, and other day-to-day expenses of an organisation, or general appeals to funds
- Research, study, travel or project costs of an individual or private nature
- Collections of papers or proceedings of meetings or conferences
- Magazines and journals
- Publications of non-profit organisations
- Projects that have already been completed
- Translations from another language other than that of the original publication
- Translation into a language other than that of the country of publication
- Print runs lower than 500 copies